SCORE Trophy Trucks make their way down the Las Vegas strip from the SEMA show to the Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
Helped by a huge assist from Supercross Hall of Fame legendary co-driver Ricky Johnson, Team C Racing’s Larry Connor has earned the first starting position in the featured SCORE Trophy Truck division for next month’s 51st annual SCORE Baja 1000.
The special SCORE Baja 1000 Qualifying, presented by BFGoodrich Tires was held on a purpose built, very technical .6-mile course that started and finished on the Off-Road Track at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
The iconic Granddaddy of All Desert Races itself will start and finish in Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico. This year’s SCORE Baja 1000 race-week festivities and race will be held Nov. 12-18. The race is the season-finale of the four-race 2018 SCORE World Desert Championship.
In front of an appreciative capacity crowd at the LVMS Off-Road Track on Tuesday night, Johnson, who won 38 Supercross races and seven AMA season championships in his Hall of Fame motorcycle career, blistered the dirt and asphalt covering two laps of the .6-mile course in one minute, 51.92 seconds with an average speed of 38.57 miles per hour in Connor’s No. 6 Team C Racing Chevy Silverado. He ran laps of 58.69 seconds and 43.23 seconds. His second lap was the fastest of the night.
Johnson was quickest among the 30 trucks out of the 37 entered in the race that elected to participate in the optional qualifying event.
Photos by: GetSome Photo
Info & results: SCORE
QUALIFYING RESULTS: (1.2 total miles, 2 laps of .6 mile dirt race course)
(Position, Vehicle number, qualifying driver/driver of record if different, hometown, vehicle, builder, elapsed time, miles per hour)
ULTIMATE DANA FAST QUALIFIER—6 Ricky Johnson, 53, Trabuco Canyon, Calif.(DOR–Larry Connor, 68, Miamisburg, Ohio), Chevy Silverado (Mason), one minute, 51.92 seconds (38. 57 miles per hour)
- 83 Luke McMillin, 25, San Diego, Ford F-150 (Racer), 1:53.05
- 77 Robby Gordon, 49, Charlotte, N.C., Chevy Silverado (Custom), 1:53.52
- 60 Cole Potts, 19, Scottsdale, Ariz., Chevy Silverado (Racer), 1:53.84
- 7 Bryce Menzies, 31, Las Vegas, Ford Raptor (Huseman), 1:53.97
- 33 Dale Dondel, 53, Temecula, Calif.(DOR–Todd Tuls, 49, Bennington, Neb.), Ford Raptor (Racer), 1:54.12
- 11 Rob MacCachren, 53, Las Vegas, Ford F-150 (Geiser), 1:56.73
- 32 Ryan Arciero, 45, Lake Forest, Calif., Ford F-150 (Herbst-Smith), 1:57.99
- 19 Ryan Millen, 33, Huntington Beach, Calif. (New Zealand)(DOR–Tim Herbst, 55, Las Vegas), Ford F-150 (Herbst-Smith), 1:58.18
- 97 B.J. Baldwin, 39, Las Vegas, Toyota Tundra (ID), 1:58.43
- 23 Dan McMillin, 30, San Diego, Ford F-150 (Racer), 1:58.73
- 16 Cameron Steele, 50, San Clemente, Calif., Chevy Silverado (Geiser), 1:58.95
- 1 Carlos ‘Apdaly’ Lopez, 23, Tecate, Mexico, Chevy Rally Truck (builder-Geiser), 1:59.17
- 85 Mike Lawrence, 30, Banning, Calif., Ford F-150 (Herbst-Smith), 1:59.30
- 31 Andy McMillin, 31, San Diego, Chevy Silverado (Mason), 2:00.40
- 70 Kevin Thompson, 45, Braunfels, Texas, Ford F- 150 (Herbst-Smith), 2:00.54
- 15 Billy Wilson, 33, Corpus Christi, Texas, Ford Raptor (Jimco), 2:00.79
- 50 Zak Langley, 43, Manhattan Beach, Calif., Ford F-150 (ESM), 2:01.41
- *5L Armin Schwarz, 55, Austria (Germany) (Driver of Record–Clyde Stacy, 73, Bristol, Va.), Chevy Rally Truck (Geiser), 2:01.50
- 88 Mike Walser, 51, Comfort, Texas, Chevy Silverado (Mason), 2:01.57
- 4 Justin Matney, 33, Bristol, Tenn., Chevy Rally Truck (Geiser), 2:01.65
- 57 Mike Palmer, 56, Denver, Chevy Silverado (Palmer), 2:02.88
- 20 Robbie Pierce, 59, Santee, Calif., Ford Raptor (Jimco), 2:03.31
- 54 Christian Souapas, 22, Rancho Santa Fe, Calif.(DOR–Troy Herbst, 52, Las Vegas), Ford F-150 (Herbst-Smith), 2:03.89
- 62 Mike Cook, 37, Provo, Utah, Chevy Silverado (Mason), 2:04.68
- 86 Joe Bacal, 49, Anthem, Ariz., Dodge Ram1500 (Geiser), 2:06.75
- *12L Gustavo Vildosola, 65, Mexicali, Mexico, Ford Raptor (ID), 2:08.21
- 61 Richard Armstrong, 50, Canada, Chevy Silverado (Brenthel), 2:11.12
- *81L John Swift, Oxnard, Calif. (DOR–DavidWesthem, 58, Tahoe City, Calif.), Chevy C-1500 (Mac West), 2:11.47
- 10 Alan Ampudia, 27, Ensenada, Mexico, Ford Raptor (ID), 13:28.28
*SCORE TT LEGEND (Unlimited Production Trucks, Drivers over 50 years old)–
Additional SCORE Trophy Truck race entries not qualifying:
26 Dave Taylor, 44, Page, Ariz./Steve Strobel, Clarks, Neb., Chevy Silverado (Geiser)
*37L Rolf Helland, 59, Morris, Ill./Jeff Mackiewicz, 50, Ottawa, Ill., Ford Raptor (Geiser)
40 Chris Miller, 44, Rancho Santa Fe, Calif./Jimmy Nuckles, 50, Brawley, Calif., Toyota Tundra (ID)
45 Gary Magness, 64, Denver/Devin Housh, 37, Desert Hot Springs, Calif., Ford F-150 (Custom)
66 Harry Hepler, 54, Lansing, Mich./Steve Purchase, 35, Lansing, Mich./Josh Chedester, 30, Lansing, Mich., Ford Raptor (Evans)
72 Aaron Ciliceo, 46, San Diego/Greg Adler, 50, Manhattan Beach, Calif./Abraham Lartundo, 39, San Diego, Toyota Tundra (Maniak)
*72L Rob Reinertson, 56, Woodside, Calif./Mike Salimbeni, 52, Lathrop, Calif., Ford F-150 (North American)
The post Ricky Johnson Qualifies First For The 51st SCORE Baja 1000 appeared first on race-deZert.com.